Acne is a condition commonly thought of as a teenage problem, but the truth is that acne can affect adults as well. Understanding how and why breakouts occur can be the first step in learning how to keep those uncomfortable and unsightly pimples and pustules at bay. Check out these basic facts on the causes of acne and tips on how to prevent breakouts.
Acne forms through three basic processes:
- An excess of sebum (oil) is produced by the body
- Skin pores become clogged with dead skin cells or dirt
- Bacteria builds up inside the pore
These processes work in combination to result in the formation of whiteheads, blackheads and pimples on the surface of the skin. However, scientists still do not know why some pores will be affected and not others, or why some people suffer with severe breakouts, while others experience nary a pimple. By understanding some of the risk factors involved with acne formation, it can be easier to practice effective prevention.
Acne Risk Factors
The following can impact the severity of an acne condition:
- Hormone fluctuations
- Diet (including dairy foods and carbohydrate-rich foods)
- Some medications
Contrary to what many of us have heard about acne, the condition is not caused by greasy foods, stress or dirty skin.
Acne Prevention Tips
Because we don’t know the underlying cause of acne, we can’t prevent the condition from occurring in some individuals. However, there are steps you can take to minimize breakouts and keep your skin clear, even if you are prone to acne. Those tips include:
- Practice a daily skin care regimen that includes washing the face no more than twice daily
- Apply a topical solution containing benzoyl peroxide to oily areas
- Choose oil-free skin care products and cosmetics
- Shower after exercising to remove excess sweat and oil
- Do not over scrub the skin, since this can cause irritation
- Avoid picking acne lesions, which can spread oil and bacteria to other areas of the skin
- Avoid tight-fitting clothing that can irritate skin and lead to breakouts
- Always remove all makeup and skin care products before going to bed
The good news is that if you are battling acne breakouts to no avail, professional help is available. Acne treatments are now available from skin specialists that offer fast, effective relief with little or no discomfort or downtime. To learn more about your options in acne treatment, contact the staff of Incredible Veins at 818-446-2995 to schedule your personal consultation with Tabitha Carnevale, RN,MSN,NP.