Lasers have become the go-to technology to achieve numerous aesthetic goals today. By simply delivering concentrated beams of laser energy into the layers of the dermis, we can effectively rejuvenate the skin, remove unwanted hair and address a host of skin imperfections. In this two-part series, Incredible Veins Skin & Body will give you the lowdown on lasers, starting with devices used for skin rejuvenation.
What is Laser Skin Rejuvenation?
Laser skin rejuvenation is a non-surgical method of reversing damage to the skin caused by sun exposure, aging and other factors. The procedure is highly customizable, allowing the provider to tailor treatments to the specific needs and desired results of each patient. Most procedures take one hour or less to complete and do not require any general anesthesia. Local anesthetic or topical numbing cream may be used to enhance patient comfort during the procedure.
Benefits of Laser Treatments
There are a number of concerns laser skin rejuvenation can address:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Hyperpigmentation, brown spots and melasma
- Irregular skin texture and tone
- Shallow scarring from acne or chicken pox
- Sun damage like leathery skin and discoloration
- Enlarged pores
- Skin growths, including pre-cancerous growths
Ablative, Non-Ablative, Fractional
Ablative laser treatments are the most aggressive and involve complete removal of upper layers of skin. The procedure is highly effective in removing surface imperfections and creating a tighter, more youthful appearance. Ablative treatments involve the most discomfort and downtime, but they also offer results that are dramatic and long-lasting.
Non-ablative laser treatments work underneath the skin’s surface to tighten the underlying tissue and stimulate collagen production. These procedures do not cause trauma to the outer skin layers, which means less discomfort and a faster recovery. However, the procedure provides more subtle results and treatment must be repeated regularly to maintain positive results.
Fractional laser resurfacing uses the laser energy to make micro-injuries in the skin to stimulate the body’s own healing process and collagen production. This procedure can offer results more dramatic than non-ablative treatments, but features less discomfort and downtime than ablative treatments. Results of fractional treatments can be very natural and long-lasting.
Devices Available at Incredible Veins Skin & Body
Because no two patients have precisely the same needs in skin rejuvenation, Incredible Veins Skin & Body offers a variety of laser treatment options to address the variety of concerns we see daily. Our devices include:
- Quanta MDK3 Laser – This laser offers non-ablative skin rejuvenation and can be used to minimize the appearance of fine lines and acne scarring. A series of treatment sessions is generally required to achieve full results, but the procedure is not painful and there is no downtime afterward.
- PicoSure Skin Rejuvenation with Focus Lens Array – The PicoSure offers laser rejuvenation that can effectively address signs of aging, brown spots, scarring and skin laxity. At Incredible Veins, Skin & Body we provide extra steps to ensure patients comfort such as topical numbing and a Zimmer cooler during treatment. Patients will experience up to a few hours of warmth feeling immediately after but that quickly resolves and patient can go back to using their normal skincare and makeup products the next day. This treatment is usually performed in a series of 3, once every 6 weeks.
- Venus Viva – This newcomer to Incredible Veins Skin & Body actually uses radiofrequency energy instead of lasers to achieve skin renewal. However, the energy is delivered in a similar fashion to laser treatments and provides many of the same benefits. This device has been shown to offer faster results that can last longer than some laser procedures.